What is E-Rate?
E-Rate – or, more precisely, the Schools and Libraries Universal Service Support Mechanism – provides discounts to assist most schools and libraries in the United States to obtain affordable telecommunications and Internet access. Through the program, the following service categories are funded: Telecommunications Services, Internet Access, Internal Connections, and Basic Maintenance. Discounts range from 20% to 90% of the costs of eligible services – depending on the level of poverty and the urban/rural status of the population served.
Helpful Forms and Links
Ready to apply for E-Rate funding? Fill out the forms to get started! For a full list of forms and instructions pertaining to the E-Rate program visit the USAC-SLD website.
- Description of Services Requested and Certification Form | FCC Form 470
- FCC Form 470 describes the services and/or products you are seeking.
- Description of Services Ordered and Certification Form | FCC Form 471
- FCC Form 471 lists the specific services that you are requesting E-Rate discounts for and the entities that are eligible to receive these services. This form also establishes the discount rate.
- Receipt of Service Confirmation and Children’s Internet Protection Act and Technology Plan | FCC Form 486
- FCC Form 486 is sent to the SLD (Schools and Libraries Division) to indicate that it (or the eligible entities it represents) is receiving or has received service from the service provider(s) with which it contracted for E-Rate eligible services. When the USAC-SLD receives a properly completed Form 486, it triggers the process for the actual payment of discounts to the service providers.
- Billed Entity Applicant Reimbursement Form (BEAR) | FCC Form 472
- FCC Form 472 is used to request reimbursement for E-Rate discounts on approved services.
- Funding Commitment Adjustment Request Form | FCC Form 500
- FCC Form 500 is used to adjust or modify approved funding commitments after the commitments have been issued by USAC.
FCC Orders and Named Decisions
The E-Rate program is structured around a set of orders and decisions established by the Federal Communications Commission. These guidelines help to determine eligibility, fund availability, and application requirements, among other criteria.
- DA 11-1991 - Queen of Peace - Issued 12/07/2011
- FCC 10-122 - Academy of Math and Science - Issued 07/08/2010
- FCC 07-64 - Macomb ISD - Issued 05/08/2007
- FCC 06-54 - Bishop Perry - Issued 05/19/2006
- DA 05-2176 - Fayetteville - Issued 07/27/2005
- FCC 03-313 - IBM/Ysleta Order - Issued 12/08/2003
- DA 02-3365 - Nassau BOCES - Issued 12/06/2002
- DA 02-2975 - Kalamazoo - Issued 11/04/2002
- FCC 01-73 - Naperville - Issued 02/22/2001
- FCC 00-354 - Brooklyn Library - Issued 09/26/2000
- FCC 00-167 - Mastermind - Issued 05/23/2000
- FCC 00-2 - United Talmudical - Issued 01/04/2000
- DA 99-2098 - Indiana Intelenet Commission - Issued 10/06/1999
- FCC 99-216 - Tennessee - Issued 08/11/1999
- FCC 14-189 - Second E-Rate Modernization Report and Order and Order on Reconsideration - Issued 12/19/2014
- FCC 14-99 - E-Rate Modernization Report and Order and Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Issued 07/23/2014
- FCC 11-125 - Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) Report and Order - Issued 08/11/2011
- FCC 10-175 - Sixth Report and Order - Issued 09/28/2010
- FCC 04-190 - Fifth Report and Order - Issued 08/13/2004
- FCC 04-181 - Order on Reconsideration and Fourth Report and Order - Issued 07/30/2004
- FCC 03-323 - Third Report and Order - Issued 12/23/2003
- FCC 03-101 - Second Report and Order - Issued 04/29/2003
- FCC 02-175 - First Report and Order - Issued 06/13/2002
- FCC 02-8 - Notice of Proposed Rule Making and Order - Issued 01/25/2002
- FCC 01-120 - Children's Internet Protection Act - Issued 04/05/2001
- DA 99-3013 - Permanent Extension Order - Issued 12/28/1999
- FCC 98-247 - Seventh Order on Reconsideration - Issued 09/29/1998
- FCC 98-120 - Fifth Order on Reconsideration - Issued 06/28/1998
- FCC 97-420 - Fourth Order on Reconsideration - Issued 12/30/1997
- FCC 97-400 - Second Order on Reconsideration - Issued 11/26/1997
- FCC 97-380 - Third Order on Reconsideration - Issued 10/14/1997
- FCC 97-157 - Federal-State Joint Board on Universal Service - Issued 08/08/1997
- FCC 97-246 - First Order on Reconsideration - Issued 07/10/1997
- FCC 96J-3 - Federal-State Joint Board on Universal Service Recommended Decision - Issued 11/07/1996